bowtroll's Waterfowlin album on Photobucket

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Rogers Elite Pure

Roger began sending me picture of his groups in what seemed like minutes of him telling me he had picked it up...After a few days of this I got a review of this sweet shooter via email!!!

I decided on the Pure over the Hunter due to the Axle to Axle length. I am 6' 2" and weigh a biscuit shy of NFL offensive lineman. The Hunter felt like a toy in my hands while the Pure felt more like my Tour (Elites Target Bow), well balanced, smooth drawing and holds like a rock.

I purchased the 30.5" 70 pound Ninja. Fellow Team Overkill Member Chris Johnson had the 30" Pure. His felt short to him while mine felt long so we swapped out the draw elements. After some timing , draw weight and holding weight (draw stop) checks and adjustments I was ready to go.

I like having a 65% to 70% holding weight over the factory set 80%. Using a back tension release or even a thumb release used with proper back tension form, having the extra holding weight helps in your holding and release. Normally I shoot a 29.5" but with the 30" draw element adjusted down to 70% letoff it holds the same as a 29.5"

Now set with Hinky Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HDX (love these rests), 10.25" 11 ounce B-Stinger Stabilizer and my last year Sword 3rd Axis sight I was ready to start sighting in. I set the rest at the normal 7/8" up off the shelf and the 13/16" over for centershot. One shot through paper let me know I was on.

I shot one shot at 10 yards to make sure the sight was close then stepped back to 20 yards and shot 3 shoots (camera phone photo attached). All three were low left of center but touching. Great start. Easy to make sight adjustments when you can group like this. A slight adjustment was made to the whole pin housing then I stepped back to 40 yards (my middle pin) and shot one. Very close to center but still slightly low left, let's go back to 60 yards. At 60 yards I shot 2 shots, both touching just slightly low left (camera phone photo attached). Another slight adjustment and back down to 20 yards and shot again - dead nuts on. Nine total shots and I had the bow sighted in out to 60 yards - how easy is that!


























Next was the true test - broadheads - this is not a target bow - this is a hunting bow. I use 50 yards as my check (normally the max I would attempt to shoot at a deer, so if I am good here I should be better even closer). I shot 2 field points then 2 broadheads. The broadheads hit slightly right of the field points. I adjusted the rest slightly out (just a fraction), shot again and we were hitting in the same spot. Locked it down and have been practicing solid ever since. From my 2010 GT500 to the 2011 Pure I did not have to make any adjustments in the pin gaps. I am getting the same speed from the Pure as I was with my GT 500 hunting bow. The only difference I feel is the Pure has a smoother draw all the way to a solid back wall. The GT 500 had just the slightest bump, not bad but now with the Pure it is completely gone.

I am not a Speed Demon, I would rather have a bow that is easy to draw, holds great and does not feel like it is jumping out of my hand at the shot. The Pure has all of that. At 70 pounds and 30" draw I can easily hold this bow at a 45 degree downward angle and come to full draw with no problems. With the Pure I can focus completely on the shot and not the draw cycle.

My arrow setup is a 29" Carbon Express (CX) Maxima Hunter 350 with 3 Bohning Blazer Vanes, CX Bulldog Collar, CX Lazer Eye Nock and 100 grain Rage 2 Blade Broadheads. Total arrow weight is 400 grains. With shooting 290 fps I am obtaining 74.72 foot pounds of energy. More than enough for any whitetail around.

I loved the GT 500 last year (so much so I had two - one is still setup for 3D - the other has been setup by Jeff Harrison with Cuda Cams, Hinky Strings and 50 pound Ultimate Camo dipped limbs for my wife) but I think I have a new lover for the fall 2011. Still in the Elite family, just with the younger hotter sister of the GT 500. My wife is going to be a hunting widow again this year. As long as I can keep the nerves in check I should be easily filling freezers again this fall.
































































No comments:

Post a Comment